William James, the renowned 20th-century psychologist once stated, “The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Over the years I have worked with a number of individuals and businesses. The common thread that is easily observed is that everyone is interested in developing their skills. These skills cover an infinite set of possibilities. It could be selling, teaching, speaking, negotiating, writing and a myriad of other areas of expertise.
They attend seminars, programs, classes and workshops in an attempt to perfect these skills. Some people are extremely dedicated to this, others not so much. But to a person, when asked what the most important requirement was for success, the answer was invariably “attitude.”
Here’s the interesting part. All of these individuals and businesses put forth tremendous effort and finances in an attempt to increase production, quality of work and buildup of the bottom line. But in a group of 100 it is surprising that less than 1% spends any time on attitude.
These are the same businesses and individuals that clearly believe that attitude is the most important factor in success. How is your attitude, and what are you doing to improve it. Here are a list of questions that you might want to answer honestly just to see where you are right now.
1) How is your attitude right now? (Is it Poor, Fair, Average Good Or Exceptional?)
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, how is your attitude usually? (Poor Fair, Average, Good, or Exceptional?)
3) If there is one thing you would like to change about your attitude, what would it be?
4) If you write a list of the things that usually build your attitude “up” what would you write on your list?
5) If you were to write a list of the things in your life right now that brings your attitude “down” what would you write on your list?
6) How important do you think your own attitude is, in managing your daily life to its best?
7) How important do you think your attitude is, to creating the best in your future?
8) Is there anything right now that is affecting your attitude in a negative way? If there is, what can you do to change that?
9) If you could do one thing to change your attitude for the better, most days, what would it be?
10) If you would set one goal for your own attitude, for the next 30 days, what would it be?
Shad Helmstetter, PhD.
Take a few moments today and see what changes in attitude would improve your life and allow you to be successful and reach fulfillment.